10 Thought Provoking Quotes by Anand Mahindra
It’s expected of businessmen, more so the renowned ones to have an education which mirrors the fields in which their organizations specialize. His ideally should have been Automotive Engineering given that they make some of India’s (some say the world’s!) finest automotive, including off-roaders, SUVs, utility vehicles and these days the Indian Army’s state-of-the-art Armoured Tactical Vehicles.
And he was a student of Architecture and Film making from Harvard College, Cambridge, Massachusetts who went on to do an MBA from Harvard Business School in Massachusetts.
Anand Gopal Mahindra. With a net worth of USD 1.6 billion, the Chairman of the Mahindra Group was the 88th richest Indian in 2019 according to Forbes. One of India’s most renowned and admired businessman, his conglomerate’s interests range widely from automotive to aerospace, agribusiness, construction equipment, defence, energy, farm equipment, finance and insurance, information technology, leisure and hospitality, logistics, real estate, and retail. If his businesses’ interests seem wide-ranging, they pale in comparison to his personal interests, more so in matters other than business.
- His donation of USD 10 million to the Harvard Humanities Center is the largest personal donation overseas by an Indian.
- His interest in blues brought about the yearly Mahindra Blues Festival in Mumbai featuring some of the world’s best blues musicians.
- Nanhi Kali, a project he founded in 1996 to provide primary education to underprivileged girls supports over 130000 girls!
- Another initiative, Naandi Danone is the largest provider of safe drinking to rural areas with over 3 million users.
Known for his witty tweets that have brought him a fan following of over 7 million making him one of the world’s top CEOs on social media, his quotes too remain thought provoking and grounded. We mention some below.
- If you aren’t humble, whatever empathy you claim is false and probably results from some arrogance or the desire to control. But true empathy is rooted in humility and the understanding that there are many people with as much to contribute to life as you.
- Sustainability is a part of our ‘rise’ philosophy. You cannot rise if you take more from the community than you put back.
- The glamorous side is SUVs, but frankly, the tractor side is where we are number one in the world.
- Leaders don’t look behind; they don’t look to the side — they look ahead.
- You want educated women if you are going to have a modern society.
- Whether in services or in manufacturing, the trick is to stay ahead of the curve. I believe we should not wait to be disrupted — we should become disruptors ourselves.
- Life has an interesting way of teaching even the most powerful people that joy from wealth is fleeting at best.