10 quotes by Ratan Tata that will inspire you to succeed
Pithy quotes come to those singed by life who nevertheless take such pains as part of growing up. In his case, it happened early in life when his parents separated and he was brought up by his grandmother who taught him to retain dignity at all costs, a value Ratan Tata says is still with him even today- not surprising in the way his team handled the pains of all those who went through the horrors of the 26/11 carnage, this when most of them weren’t directly related to the Tata Group.
An alumnus of the Cornell University, his first job was managing operations on the Tata Steel shop floor as far back as 1961. With his becoming the Group’s Chairman in 1997, they certainly developed wings in the way they have scaled new heights! Besides a revenue jump of 4000% and profit jump of 5000%, they have accomplished some of India’s biggest mergers and acquisitions including the addition of JLR, Tetley Tea and Corus Steel. Some of India’s most talked-about projects like the Tata Nano car, the world’s cheapest car at INR 1 lac, were his baby.
Deserving of every title bestowed upon him, he is the recipient of the Padma Bhushan award in 2000 followed by the Padma Vibhushan in the year 2008. With the stature of a stalwart and a visionary in one of India’s most admired of corporate houses, Ratan Tata is known to display exemplary ethics in his dealing which comes through in the entire group’s working.
And now, some of his best quotes and sayings to motivate the entrepreneur in you to dream and work like a social-entrepreneur who dreams big and achieves it- all the while taking people along!
- “Power and wealth are not two of my main stakes.”
- “I’ve often felt that the Indian Tiger has not been unleashed.”
- “I have always been very confident and very upbeat about the future potential of India. I think it is a great country with great potential.”
- “I have been constantly telling people to encourage people, to question the unquestioned and not to be ashamed to bring up new ideas, new processes to get things done.”
- “Ups and downs in life are very important to keep us going, because a straight line even in an ECG means we are not alive.”
- “I admire people who are very successful. But if that success has been achieved through too much ruthlessness, then I may admire that person, but I can’t respect him.”
- “If you want to walk fast, walk alone. But if you want to walk far, walk together.”
- “If it stands the test of public scrutiny, do it… If it doesn’t stand the test of public scrutiny then don’t do it.”
- “Apart from values and ethics which I have tried to live by, the legacy I would like to leave behind is a very simple one — that I have always stood up for what I consider to be the right thing, and I have tried to be as fair and equitable as I could be.”
- “None can destroy iron, but its own rust can! Likewise, none can destroy a person, but its own mindset can!”